skip to Main Content

Funeral Guide

When Death Occurs

What to do when death occurs?

Stay calm and call us at 1800 226 3333 for advice immediately. We will advise you what to do next.

What to do if my loved one dies overseas?

Stay calm and call Flying Home at (65) 6253 0001 for advice immediately. We will advise you what to do next.

How do I post obituaries on newspapers?

Let us know and we will assist you in the liaison with publishers to have the obituaries published.

Can I choose not to embalm my loved one?

YES, you can choose not to embalm your loved one. In Singapore, it is not required to embalm a loved one. However, if you would like to allow viewing during the wake, embalming is advisable.

Which newspaper can I post obituary on?

You can choose to post obituary on any of the Singapore newspaper listed here:
English: The Straits Times and The Sunday Times, Today
Chinese: Lianhe Zaobao, Lianhe Wanbao and Shin Min Daily News
Malay: Berita Harian and Berita Minggu
Tamil: Tamil Murasu

How much will a wake/funeral cost?

Funeral cost varies vastly depending on the number of days of wake, the religious rites required, the type of casket, and of course the needs and wants of the bereaved family and their loved one.
Let us know what you want so we can give a quote, with no obligation.

Can I get professional photos and videos of the funeral?

Yes, we can assist you in hiring professional photographer and videographer to record the funeral.
Photography and videography services are gaining popularity in funerals as they capture the moments of emotions at one of the family’s major event. A meaningful life well-lived is worth memorializing, much like new birth and marriage.
“Capturing moments of emotions that stood still in time.”


Where do I book the void deck space for wake/funeral?

You will have to visit the town council of your residential area to book the void deck space. Remember to bring along a copy of your utility bill with your home address to verify that you live in that block.

Where are the funeral parlours in Singapore?

There are currently 6 funeral parlours that is open for public to rent at Mount Vernon Sanctuary, Garden of Remembrance, Sin Ming Funeral Parlour, Teochew Funeral Parlour, Singapore Funeral Parlour and Woodlands Memorial.

Where can I register the death of my family member?

After a death is certified by a registered medical practitioner, the next-of-kin (NOK) will receive a digital death certificate from the My Legacy portal ( The digital death certificate will be ready for the NOK to download within 30 days.

Please visit for more information.

Where Are The Public Cemeteries And Columbaria In Singapore?

In Singapore, only Choa Chu Kang Cemetery Complex is still open for burials.

  • Choa Chu Kang Cemetery Booking Office
    910 Choa Chu Kang Road
    Singapore 699819

There are 2 government-managed columbaria still available for sale.

  1. Mandai Columbarium
    300 Mandai Road Singapore 779393
  2. Choa Chu Kang Columbarium
    51 Choa Chu Kang Road, Chinese Cemetery Path 4


How does funeral preplanning works?

It is a simple and easy 6-steps process.

  1. Make an appointment with our The Last Gift consultants to find out the options and possible arrangements.
  2. Draw up a plan and put it in writing.
  3. Appoint a nominee.
  4. Decide on a payment plan.
  5. A copy of The Last Gift contract and supporting documents will be sent out.
  6. Execution of The Last Gift arrangements upon activation by nominee.

Contact us at 6226 2333 or 8500 1000 to understand more.


What do I do with my loved one's cremated remains?

It is a simple and easy 6-steps process.

There are various ways you can handle your loved one’s cremated remains. Typically, Singaporeans choose to place their loved ones’ cremated remains in a columbarium. Over the years, there are more families who are opting for sea burial too, where the sea is their loved one’s final resting place. Newer option of scattering pulverised cremated remains at the Inland Ash Scattering (IAS) facility at the Garden of Peace, located within Choa Chu Kang Cemetery is available as well. There are other options such as placing the ashes in a beautiful urn and display it at home; keeping some ashes in a small keepsake jewellery; or, transform their ashes into Algordanza Memorial Diamond.

Can I not place the urn in a columbarium?

Yes, you are not required to place an urn in a columbarium. You are able to place the urn at home. We recommend you to consider choosing a keepsake urn that looks like an art piece if you would like to have it placed at home. Alternatively, you can choose the sea as the final resting place by performing sea burial with a biodegradable urn.

What do I have to do after the funeral?

After the funeral, there are still other administrative work that needs to be handled.

What Is An Ling (安灵) and Ji Ling (寄灵)?

An Ling (安灵)
An Ling is an act of filial piety by the descendants according to Taoist / Buddhist beliefs.
For An Ling, descendants have to prepare a table to place the tablet, picture, joss pot and daily food offerings in their residence. The offering of joss sticks, drinks and food have to be carried out daily for the next 49 days.

Ji Ling (寄灵)
Ji Ling is the same as An Ling, but just that the tablet, picture, and other items are placed in the temple / monastery / columbarium where the caretakers or monks help to carry out the daily offerings and chanting.
We do not provide Ji Ling Service. You can check with the temple / monastery / columbarium of the niche if such service is offered.


What are the available payment methods?

With effect from 1 August 2023, we only accept PayNow and bank transfer as the payment modes.



Mount Vernon Columbarium re-location programme information can be found on NEA website here.

Looking for a career in the bereavement industry?

Funeral Professional is not just a Profession, it’s a Calling.

Ang Chin Moh Funeral Directors aims to attract extraordinary individuals with a strong sense of compassion, sincerity, and empathy to be part of our vision.

If you believe that you have what it takes and want a career that is meaningful and spiritually rewarding in all that you do, do approach us.

Do you provide pro bono funeral services?

Yes, social service organizations do refer us their destitute clients who have no next-of-kin to care and plan for their funeral matters. Please contact us and we will do our best to assist.

I am looking for support for my media productions / school projects.

We give support for local and international productions, please email us at to seek assistance.


This is not an exhaustive list of FAQ. Share with us your questions so we can answer them for you.

Back To Top